Community-Based Learning: Learning about an issue or topic using community resources like site visits or presenters.
· Enhances the learning experience
· Does not provide a service nor address a need
Community Service: Meeting a genuine need through direct action.
· Does not strive to deliver academic learning
· Does not require participants to reflect/understand their service
· Often takes place outside the school day and off school grounds
· Has no definite beginning or end
· Amount of service is quantified by required hours
Service-Learning: experiential learning where youth apply knowledge, critical thinking, and good judgment to address a genuine community need.
· Has clear and direct connection to academic curriculum
· Provides a service to the community that is valued by both sides
· Incorporates the Standards for Quality Practice
· Is a teaching methodology to achieve core academic outcomes, not an add-on