"When thoughtfully integrated,
SERVICE and LEARNING are each ENHANCED and both TRANSFORMED."
Benefits of Service-Learning
Successful Service-Learning projects:
· Enhance students' learning by joining theory with experience and thought with action.
· Fill unmet needs in the community through direct service which is meaningful and necessary.
· Enable students to see the relevance of the academic subject to the real world.
· Promote self-esteem and self-confidence.
· Develop an environment of collegial participation among students, faculty, and the community.
· Increase civic engagement and citizenship skills.
· Assist agencies to better serve their clients and benefit from the infusion of enthusiastic volunteers.
· Expose students to society's inadequacies and injustices and empower students to remedy them.
· Develop a richer context for student learning.
· Provide cross-cultural experiences for students.
· Serve as a tool for retention of students.
· Give students a greater responsibility for their learning.